Weekly update #8 [29/7-4/8]

This week is the first week of a two week task to handle related reports and grouping of similar reports. It is also the week that we had our first deployment.

I deployed in order to get more feedback on how everything is going. Sadly the responses were not exactly overwhelming but I have a somewhat good view about how I have decided to proceed.

This week I worked on the js line translator and added url sanitization to most urls in the error report. This helps with two things. First is the increased privacy of the reporters, and second is that there is less difference between similar bugs just because they happened at different hosts.

I have also changed the current schema so that we have reports and incidents. I have moved some of the functionality to the incidents model. I have also changed the views and helpers to handle the new schema. However I faced some problems in how to display certain parts of the incidents. since the incidents do not have a view I need to display the relevant information in the reports view. The most problematic pieces of info is the steps leading to the error and the stacktrace.

They need to be displayed but caution must be taken since they may be 1000s of them. I am currently displaying all the steps at the bottom of the report. As for the stack traces I have not decided how I am going to handle them. I have an idea but I am putting it off incase another idea comes to me. The idea is to have php compare the stack trace to all the stacktraces of the related incidents in the database to find if it is the same as another stack trace of a previous incident, otherwise it is marked in the database as a new stacktrace and is displayed in the reports view.

Another problem is displaying all the different stacktraces. I am not exactly a great designer so I might not be able to create a view that is usable but doesn’t waste a lot of space in the page. We will see about it but I am not sure yet.

I have also yet to handle the manual marking of reports as the same. So for next week I am going to handle that, as well as add a view for the stack traces and maybe even create an html view for incidents and hopefully end up with something better than the last time I tried it.

I will not yet merge my current work into the master branch since it is not finished yet. I will wait till the task is finished to submit a pull request so that the deployment server gets the entire story at once.

Speaking of deployment, I was also able to get the checkstyle errors from around 900 to 43 or 57 depending on who you ask. This was quite impressive. I will hopefully continue on this trend.

Also I might take a couple of days off for Eid at the end of next week. I will try to finish next week’s work before that. I am not exactly behind on my schedule so I don’t think that would be a problem

Advertisements

One thought on “Weekly update #8 [29/7-4/8]

  1. Pingback: Mohamed Ashraf: Weekly update #8 [29/7-4/8] | PHP World

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s